In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn how to use straw and clay in combination to create a low cost, low impact non-toxic insulation called “light straw clay”. Participants will understand the variety of applications light straw clay can be used in. The hands-on portion of the workshop will include mixing and installing light straw clay in a conventional wall system, and installing a basic clay plaster finish over the light straw clay wall system.
In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn about the following topics:
- Properties of slip-straw construction
- Properties of clay plasters
- How to retrofit an existing home
- How to install in a new home
- Building code compatibility